The Junior League of Boston is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
The Junior League of Boston (JL Boston) was established in 1906 by young women interested in educating other young women in how to address and resolve the community problems and needs of the greater Boston Metro area. Throughout the past 110 years, JL Boston has grown in our membership and involvement in the Boston Metro community. We are the second-oldest chapter of the Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc., an organization of 291 chapters in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and England.
Nearly 850 members of the Junior League of Boston devote more than 20,000 volunteer hours a year to our community initiatives. Our programs promote the wellness of girls throughout Greater Boston by addressing the critical issues of low self-esteem, poor body image, obesity, food insecurity, and poor nutrition.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The Junior League of Boston welcomes all women who value our Mission. We are committed to inclusive environments of diverse individuals, organizations and communities.
- Respect: We believe respect is a fundamental human right. Living the value of respect instills in us an unconditional positive regard for others.
- Leadership: We believe in the unique power of women’s leadership abilities to transform communities for the better. Living the value of leadership allows us to make a collective difference.
- Empowerment: We believe that the empowerment of women is a necessary requirement to create positive, lasting societal change. Living the value of empowerment fosters trust and confidence in each other.
- Service: We believe it is through service that we build core relationships with others. Service is the lens through which we decide how we will invest our time and resources. Living the value of service empowers us as catalysts for lasting community change.
- Collaboration: We believe lasting societal change is achieved through both collaboration and meaningful disagreement. Living the value of collaboration inspires us to accomplish more together.
- Community: We believe a strong sense of community is essential to human well-being. Living the value of community provides a foundation of inclusion, which allows us to make a greater impact on the world around us.
Our Value Proposition
The Junior League of Boston (JL Boston) is an inclusive community of women leaders, building and pursuing transformative experiences for ourselves and those around us. We advocate for our communities by identifying and implementing impactful services and solutions.
- Membership: JL Boston builds community amongst its members, socially, civically and philanthropically.
- Training: JL Boston trains its members to be strong female civic, community and business leaders.
- Community Service: JL Boston focuses on improving the health and wellness of women and girls through education and programming that creates positive change in the Boston community.
- Fund Development: JL Boston focuses on building relationships with donors whose philanthropic priorities align with our mission in order to create the greatest impact in the communities we serve.